In February 1852 gold was discovered at Spring Creek, Beechworth. The wealth from the Gold Rush built Beechworth and these nationally significant buildings. During this time the population of Beechworth exceeded 10,000 and at the peak of the Gold Rush more than 5,000 Chinese lived here.
The Beechworth Historic and Cultural Precinct is a collection of nationally significant buildings telling the story of how Australia grew and prospered. From booms to bushrangers, multiculturalism to communications. Beechworth is a mini-history of Australia. These buildings played an intergral role in the administration of North East Victoria and parts of Southern New South Wales.
Today this area is collectively known as the Beechworth Historic and Cultural Precinct. ">The Precinct buildings have been registered by Heritage Victoria, the National Estate, the National Trust and the Indigo Shire Council planning scheme.
Visit each of the buildings as many times as you like with this pass over the two consecutive days
$25 Adult :: $15 Concession :: $50 Family
Click on the Golden Ticket to pre-book your Golden Ticket or Contact the Beechworth Visitor Information Centre on 1300 366 321
Other Icon Buildings and Structures in the Precinct
Chinese Protector's Office
The Chinese population grew quickly during the gold-rush. In order to ensure harmonious relations on the goldfields, a Chinese Protectors Office was established in 1859. The Chinese protector was responsible for the collection of miners rights and business licences, and for enforcing the rules of the protectorate. It became the Mining Registration Office in 1864.
Estabilised in the early 1850s, there were several buildings on the land including the police barracks, officers and superintendents quarters,stables and police kitchen. Only the lock-up and police stables remain, most other buildings were removed after 1958.
Built by contractor Lewis Griffiths at a cost of 489 pounds, the Police Stables are said to have a connection with the Ned Kelly legend, in that the horses that were stabled there were used by the police in the hunt for Ned kelly.
Presumably the timber lock-up was erected soon after the Sub-Treasury changed to the police station. It retained its original function until the new police station was built in the 1990s.
Built in 1867 as a police lock-up. The building had a cell for male and female prisoners held on remand. It is believed that Ned Kelly and his mother Ellen were both held here prior to their trials.